Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Tokyo Marathon 2017 : An extraordinary experience

During the Challenge Iskandar Puteri triathlon race last year, my fellow triathlon training mate Jimmy advised that I should try signing up for the Tokyo Marathon 2017, in which the ballot for general participants will open in August. At that point of time, I have not done any full marathon before (and only a handful of half marathons). The only upcoming full marathon was the Penang Bridge International Marathon in November. Lady luck must have been on my side and the joy of receiving an email to state my selected entry to the Tokyo Marathon 2017 on 26 February 2017.

The all star marathon race for runners, Abbott World Marathon Majors (AbbottWMM) which consist of Tokyo, B.A.A. Boston, Virgin Money London, BMW Berlin, Bank of America Chicago and TCS New York City marathons. Tokyo Marathon being the nearest to home and couple with the beautiful country and its people, would be a common port where most will try to ballot for in this region.

In a matter of 4 months, the Tokyo Marathon 2017 would mark the 3rd marathon for me. This is by far the best ever event I have every participated. Most organized ever and the environment is so alive! The experience is extraordinary! Something other events can emulate from - definitely examplarery!

During the race pack pickup, the Tokyo Big Sight was filled with participants, family and friends. Even the sport fair goers! The race number pick up was very quick even though the lines were long because of the speedy volunteers, the assigned booths and check-points. As you leave the t-shirt pickup area, the group of volunteers would clap and cheer "Ganbatte" (頑張って) to you. You'll feel like a superstar! Simply amazing atmosphere to be there!

The expo was very eventful. Lots of activities, promotions and photo opportunities. My nieces who came to support had a fantastic time there too. There were activities for supporters (adults and kids) as well. Race themed souvenirs and shopping was also aplenty and packed. All covered under 2 big floors at the Tokyo Big Sight.

TIP: The expo was in a span of 3 days from Thursday till Saturday. My recommendation is to go on Thursday and/or Friday as Saturday was very packed. It was hard to get a photo opportunity with the many Tokyo Marathon displays and also the long queues to enjoy the expo activities.

TIP: The Asics Tokyo Marathon 2017 running shoe GEL-KAYANO 23 TOKYO seems to be special here, being the themed shoe and title sponsor. But at the expo, it was sold almost MYR150 more than the Asics retail stores in Malaysia. And yes, the stores in Malaysia had the stock already! Do check before buying.

Come race morning, got to the Shinjuku train station early at 7am. Everyone was diverted out to the main road and you just follow the crowd and the signs to the respective start gate allocated to you. Once pass security checks, I headed to check in my baggage at the designated baggage truck area and then proceeded to meet the Malaysian contingent. The Malaysian support group could be found at Tokyo Marathon Malaysia Runners Group.

Before the start of the race at 9pm, I headed to the toilet stalls. There were plenty of it. There was almost 100 portable stalls but the queue was huge. Organized but lots of runners. Must be the cold 5°C morning. Took almost 20 minutes before it came to my turn.

Once I got to the start corral, the crowd was already ready to roll. You could hear the announcements over the loud speaker and the start with the fireworks. As I was in corral K, it took almost 20 minutes after the gun time before I could cross the start line.

The run was just amazing. Cool weather and fantastics water/food stations. The energetic crowd was cheering along the entire 42km on both sides of the road. Some of them were even dressed in costumes, offered food, drinks and muscle spray to the participants.

The atmosphere was very uplifting. The happiness and courtesy by volunteers and sheer helpfulness is what got many running faster.

My target time was 5:30 (about a 30 minutes improvement to my personal best in Penang Bridge Marathon. As I was running, I felt I could maintain a much lower average speed with similar or less effort. The cold and dry weather certainly helped, compared to the hot and humid Malaysian races. Muscles held up during the race, and had no issues to maintain a steady low 7 minutes pace most of the time.

TIP: Many have claimed that the Tokyo Marathon race is a PB (personal best) race due to its flat course and beautiful weather.

I ended the race at 5:04, that is with a break to the little boys room for 7 minutes (off course and queues). So essentially, I managed a sub-5 and better my personal best by 1 hour! Yes, 1 hour!

This is the best run I've ever done yet! And what better place than to do it in beautiful Tokyo!

Would I try to get balloted for the Tokyo Marathon again? Of course! Look forward to return to Tokyo for another marathon. Extraordinary! 

Thank you Japan!


YouTube video of me upon meeting my sister and family

1 comment:

Ray said...

Awesome read! Running 2018 and can't wait for this weekend!